Virginia weather!

Virginia weather!

Sup, Elders

Sup, Elders

December blast of snow!

December blast of snow!

Hunter, sis. Henrie & Elder Beaus

Hunter, sis. Henrie & Elder Beaus

yeah for PDAY!

yeah for PDAY!

its a tie fashion show

its a tie fashion show

Swamp monsters?

Swamp monsters?

The companions!

The companions!

Monday, November 30, 2009

finally caught up!

November 25,
First off Elder Terry is from St. George, Utah. So I don't know if that's close or what? ha. He's only two transfers (3 months) older than me, mission-wise, So we are both pretty young missionaries. He's been in this area his whole mission so far though. 6 months in the same area! haha. But He's way cool, kind of intense sometimes, but really cool. So in harrisonburg there are two wards and a branch. I am in Harrisonburg 2nd ward, and there are two other elders (Elder Hiltbrand and Elder Stokes) who live with us in the same apartment and are over the 1st ward. The branch is a spanish branch, and the Elders over that live in an area that me and Elder Terry cover, called Bridgewater. But they cover a huge area. The Elders here are all cool, except Elder Stokes is super talkative and kind of goofy.
But basically Harrisonburg is this big city with two universities in it. James Madison University, and EMU which stands for something I don't remember. We also cover three other smaller cities called Bridgewater, Grottoes and Dayton. But the funny thing is, even the smallest city we cover here is at least twice as big as the biggest town was in my last area (blackstone). It's pretty cool, and I really enjoy living with two other elders because I don't feel isolated. It's good. Our apartment is basically basement apartment, but I like it. Especially because I have a washer and dryer now! haha So we don't have to pay for laundry. It's interesting the Elders here kind of pay for groceries all together, so we get whatever we want and then we split up the bill all at once. So yeah. Law of consecration style I guess.

Let's see...is there anything else I'm forgetting? Oh the ward. The ward is pretty awesome. We are lacking a little bit in the missionary work department, but it's something me and Elder Terry are working on to help the ward. There are some awesome members though. Two of my favorite people there are the Hendricks. They are this married couple who can't be much older than 24 or 25. He grew up agnostic (not sure if there is a god) and then became converted to the gospel and served a mission. And guess where they both went to school and met? BYU-IDAHO YEAHHHH. haha. So it's nice relating with them on that. But the ward is awesome and they do feed us. We went over to this older brothers house the other day to rake his leaves for him, and he insisted on feeding us. So he took us to this pizza place called CiCi's pizza, which is basically a pizza buffet with almost any kind of pizza you can imagine. it was excellent haha.
Harrisonburg is in the shanandoa (spelled wrong probably) valley. So we are in between mountains (basically big hills) But yeah. that's basically where we are at. I'm glad you have a big map of Virginia! Take a picture of it, I wanna see it! haha. Oh yeah random story. The first day I got here, I found out that I'm giving a talk this sunday. UGH. Then I was told that me and Elder Terry are going with the mission president to Franklin (which is an area to the northwest of us that is closed to missionaries right now, but it's the area that is in West Virginia) and giving a talk to see if they are willing to support missionaries again. INTIMIDATING. haha.
Heres our thanksgiving plans: We are eating at a less-actives house for lunch, and then we aer going to an investigators house later to hang out with them. These two investigators are awesome! They are getting baptised in december! Their names are Junior and Diane Harris. They are solid and awesome. Older, and she is diabetic and he had cancer but just found out it's in remission! Isn't that awesome? ha.

But yeah after that no other plans haha.

That wind storm sounds crazy! WE just have fog and rain. Blah. haha.
But hey I guess I have to write my mission president too, and I only have 15 minutes left on my time so I love you guys a ton and ask me and questions you need to in the next email and encourage family to email me and for friends on facebook to write me and whatnot. I love hearing from people it makes my day even better. I'm learning awesome things out here in harrisonburg on how to be a better missionary. It's tiring and I go to bed exhasuted almost every night but it's so worth it and I love it.

I love you all and I hope this week is the best week ever. Talk to you next wednesday!

Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment